Style and the Client

The new thermal stencil printer arrived, and I got a new power supply. My first use of the stencil printer did not go so well. The stencil printed fine, but it didn’t go onto the skin very good. I was trying out the new red stencil paper along with the transfer gel that came with it. My guess is I need to apply the gel much thicker than what I did because only parts of the stencil stuck. And it all wiped off way to easily. I ended up using my old thermal copier instead.

The new power supply display uses volts instead of hertz, so I had to spend some time figuring out what voltage I was going to use. I started with my liner setting at 9.5 and my shader setting at 8.4.

I added a ‘DNA’ tree to a returning client’s sleeve yesterday. He wanted a light wash of green in the foliage. I would dip the needles in the ink and then do 5 dips in the water.  Everything was going well, but then the client asked me if I was happy with it.  I was happy with it, but then my brain started thinking maybe he wasn’t happy with it.  I think there is a certain amount of insecurity that comes with being an artist, especially when you are putting art on a person’s skin that will last the rest of their life. I hope he’s happy with it.

This morning I was working very methodically on getting the color packed evenly into this periodic table tattoo, but it just wasn’t going in real solid and I’m not sure why. I switched between an 11 mag and a 15 mag to rule out the needle.  I adjusted the speed occasionally to note any differences. I worked slowly to allow saturation. I stretched the skin.  I did multiple passes. Yet all the way through the 5-hour session the color was not going in as solid as I would have liked.  And what’s also interesting to note is that I struggled during our last session as well trying to get the lines in decent.  We’ll see how it looks in a few weeks when she returns for her next session.

I made some molds for Hector’s lats. They came out pretty good.  The biggest issue with this project though is keeping the muscles attached.  After awhile some of the muscles have begun to tear and some have detached.  It is frustrating because I know this is an awesome idea and will make an outstanding figure model but getting it finished and functional is not happening.

I finished up the evening by designing a Hamsa symbol for a client. It was a two-part process because I sent her the design first and she thought it was a traditional style – which is not what she wants.  So I had to take the design a step further and do all the shading and eliminate the linework.  I think I have 3 hours in it so far.  I hope she likes it.

Leave a Reply